Call us on: 0161 371 0011
We're on YOUR side!

Change of Name

Berkeley Solicitors can help you to change you name with a deed poll. We have two forms you can use to give us the information we need to begin you change of name process. One is an online form which can be sent straight through to us using this website. The other is a word document for you to download and fill in. The links to these forms are below.

What is a Deed Poll?

A Deed Poll is a legal document that concerns one person. – and it is only signed by that person. A Deed Poll binds the signatory from the date of signing to a particular course of action as detailed on the Deed Poll document.

Today, Deed Polls have only one generally accepted meaning, that is, a change of name. They are more correctly known as a Deed of Change of Name.

A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having witnessed) you are committing yourself to:

1. Abandoning the use of your former name;
2. Using your new name only at all times;
3. Requiring all persons to address you by your new name.

A Deed Poll provides documentary evidence that you have changed your name and you are legally binding yourself to using your new name.

A Deed Poll is an English legal document, which is recognised by all UK government departments and UK companies and organisations – subject to the Deed Poll being prepared by a competent authority such as ourselves.

With a Deed Poll, you can change your forenames or surname, add names, remove names or rearrange your existing names. You can change your name at any time and for any reason provided it is not to deceive or defraud or to avoid an obligation.

Please note, a Deed Poll can be executed by any British citizen aged 18 years or over living anywhere in the world or by anyone of any nationality living in the United Kingdom (parents can apply on behalf of their children). It should be noted that a Deed Poll is only recognised by United Kingdom government departments, companies and organisations. If you are a foreign national living in the UK, you should check with your country’s high commission or embassy in London to see if a Deed Poll will be accepted to get your passport changed to show your new name. Countries that have a legal system based on the British legal system will usually accept a Deed Poll issued by us.

Please note, a Deed Poll cannot be used to get your birth certificate reissued in your new name.
Additional Information on Change of Name

Alternatively download and fill in the following:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.